Our Teachers Are All Heroes In The Classroom

Today I had the honor of watching one of my teachers, Randie Bricker, receive a Symetra Heroes in the Classroom award presented by Arthur J. Gallagher.  This program, also sponsored by the Chicago Bears,  is a community program that recognizes 16 Chicago-area teachers for outstanding leadership and instructional skills during the Chicago Bears’ season. Randie Bricker was nominated by a parent of one of her former students, for her outstanding teaching and leadership as well as for the care and compassion she provides for her first grade students each and every day.  Mrs. Bricker enjoyed a day of special recognition for truly being a hero in the classroom.  In her letter to the nomination committee this parent wrote, “ Not only is she kind-hearted, genuine, and devoted to her students, but she builds lifelong relationships with them as they grow into young adults. She creates a caring, open classroom environment that affords young learners autonomous growth through independent successes, while seamlessly balancing a safe and cohesive group learning room.”

IMG_0618IMG_5345IMG_0639

As I read the nomination letter I was reminded of the tremendous impact teachers have on the lives of students,  well beyond their instruction of content.  I truly believe that Mrs. Bricker is an outstanding teacher and I also believe that she is among many teacher heroes who put their heart and soul into their teaching each and every day.  Each day I have the honor of observing first hand how our teachers promote learning through creativity, risk taking, innovation, problem solving and exploration.  I observe teachers caring for children when they are sad, sick, confused or coping with personal and family issues.  These heroes work well into the night, over the weekends and throughout the summer. Our teachers are heroes quite simply because they love their students and they love what they do.  Thank you to all of our teacher heroes for your teaching, leadership, love and compassion.